We were hosting a dinner party awhile ago and thought it would be fun to focus on Mediterranean food. One of the recipes was a Chili Mango salad. I have included a suggested dressing but you could also make an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing too.
Chili Mango Zesty Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans, canned
- 1/4 c corn, canned
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 1 mango
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 avocado
- Cook the quinoa according to directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the spinach, slice the tomatoes, cut the mango and avocado.
- Once the quinoa has finished cooking, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl except for the mango, chili powder, cayenne and avocado.
- Top each salad with slices of avocado and mango, sprinkled with chili powder and cayenne.
Green Goddess Dressing
This popular dressing can be prepared so many different ways. Thin and vibrant or rich and creamy green. I like this green goddess dressing a bit creamy, bold and with plenty of fresh green herb flavors. I use a creamy avocado and plenty of fresh parsley. Fresh dill, cilantro, chives or basil are also options.
1/2 large avocado
3-4 Tbsp oil (try walnut, hemp, extra virgin olive oil, macadamia)
1 large lemon, juiced
large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/8 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves raw)
salt + pepper to taste
dash of cayenne
1 Tbsp raw nuts or seeds (try walnuts, pepitas..)
1 Tbsp vegan mayo
Directions: Roughly chop your fresh herbs. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.